Saturday 9 August 2014

To Live The Free Life of a Rover.....

To paraphrase a Pogues song. As part of my hair brained plan to take the summer and autumn off from any kind of significant work, I've started to try and walk the South West Coastal Path, a 630 mile trek from Minehead in Somerset to Poole in Dorset.


At the very beginning of July I took the train down to Falmouth, stopped off at Rick Stein's hideously expensive (but bloody lovely) fish and chip shop and started the 70 odd mile walk to Penzance.

First night I stayed at a nice quiet campsite three miles west of Falmouth and was up early and away by 7 in the morning, in bright sunshine.I stopped off at Rosemullion Head for a spot of fishing and managed a single wrasse and dozens of missed bites. A phone call from Mr Poodle Riley, as I approached the Helford river raised my already high spirits, as I sent him a picture of the stunning scenery on the phone, as he was slaving away working for Alan Williams. Actually, that's not true, as Poodle hasn't really worked properly since his (cough) "working from home" stint when he lived in Capel. This consisted of sitting in the garden reading the paper before darting inside to take any phone calls.

Lunch was taken in the Riverside Cafe in Helford, local crab sandwiches and a couple of pieces of home baked cake.Very nice too.

I had another stop at Nare Point, again to send photos to annoy mates Gareth Dann and The Manc Midgit . It's especially satisfying not working when your mates are. I reached Porthallow, where the guide book told me to stick to the alternative inland path, not the "Ill advised coastal route". As I am an adventurous, or stupid, individual, depending on your point of view, I took the "Ill advised route". The guide book had given no indication of why it was ill advised. I can report it is ill advised, as you go through several, extremely high barbed wire fences and two electrified cattle fences.

By now I was well on the way to Coverack, where I camped at the YHA site, had great fish and chips (again) and the first of several pints of Rattler cider. A great first day, clocking up 23 miles in total.

Forecast for day two was heavy rain for the afternoon, so again I was away early, hoping to do the 12 miles to The Lizard before the rain arrived. Made good progress, stopping off at Cadgworth to tuck into an ice cream and rolled into Lizard just as the rain had started. I didn't fancy heavy rain in the tent (wimp), so checked into The Caerthillian bed and breakfast, ideally situated right next to a pub and cafe. Quick bite to eat and I'll just have five minutes reading the paper on the bed. Two hours later I wake up just in time for Germany v France World Cup quarter final. What a civilized way to spend the afternoon.

Day three and after a great breakfast I'm off heading towards, well Porthleven I suppose. Day got better as it went on and by late afternoon it's scorching. I reach Porthleven and although it's OK, it's a bit busy for my liking, so I head on for another five or six miles to Pra Sands. As I approached Pra Sands I caught sight of the beach and I knew I'd made the right decision to carry on. Bloody bootiful as Poodle would say. The lady at the campsite even made me a cup of tea as I arrived.

Down the beach side pub for a pint or two of Rattler and more World Cup matches, chatting and drinking with another hiker, known only as Dave. Great evening, slept very well, hail the local cider.

Rose a bit later in the morning on the final leg to Penzance with Dave. First few miles was great scenery, but we somehow got a bit, not lost (I'm never lost, though I may not know where I am), well we took an alternative route, thanks to chatting and not looking at the map.

After Marizion the last three miles to Penzance were deadly dull, with a railway adjacent to the path and chip eaters everywhere.

Got to Penzance mid afternoon, where Dave carried on and I prepared to get the ferry to the Scilly Isles, but that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment