Friday 6 May 2022

The ( not so ) Grand Tour

Posh Victorians used to do "The Grand Tour", checking out Europe's top cultural cities like Paris, Rome, Madrid and Florence.

I'm doing something similar at the moment, a tour of English canals in a 25 year old camper that stinks of fish, farts, cheese and  clothes that should have been washed days ago. Anyway, I'd rather catch a few fish than check out Michelangelo's David.

First stop the good old GUC. I love this section of the canal, you just don't know what's going to turn up. I fished for a couple of days and as usual was tempted to stay longer, the campsite is the dooh daahs too and right by the canal. In addition to being a stone's throw from the water, it's got the best worm heap in the midlands and fresh eggs. I'm a man of simple pleasures as you may have guessed.

I had a nice tench of 4lb, some clonking hybrids to 2lb 4oz, two silver bream over a pound, best 1lb 5oz, lots of decent perch, plus the usual rudd and bream. Not a single roach. Spawning perhaps ?

I wouldn't say it's an easy stretch of water but at the moment it's about my favourite.


As I say, I was tempted to stay on a few days but for once I showed that old fashioned British discipline, the bulldog spirit that made this country great, blah blah blah ( refer to the Daily Mail for more of the same ) Anyway,  I upped sticks, gritted my teeth and headed the van north westwards towards the Welsh borders, next destination the Montgomery canal.

Stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment.


2 comments:

  1. Sort of place I'd happily live in a narrowboat, very little footfall, quiet and some great fish to be caught like the ones you've just shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about that every time I walk the towpath Mick.

      Delete