Saturday 26 August 2023

Asp !

I wanted to catch an asp and I was sure the Ijssel was the right place.

Last time small fish were regularly being attacked on the crease near the kroys at dusk. Not everywhere, but where the current was right.

Googling gave me a bit of info but it was mostly in Dutch, so the photos had to do. Smallish lures, wound in quickly, in fast water at dawn and dusk. That seemed to be it, roughly.

A look through the hundreds of lures in the camper resulted in just two lures that I thought may be suitable, a little thin 10 cm jig and a thirty plus year old stone cold classic ABU Droppen.


I know a few people in Holland but they're not predator anglers so it was another situation of "learning on the job".

Sitting with the feeder rod out one evening I heard a commotion eighty yards downstream at the next croy. Staring at the spot, five minutes later it happened again. Feeder rod in, I grabbed the spinning rod, a ludicrously light 5 gram six foot LRF rod with a reel with braid and Droppen and practically ran down to the spot.

It was getting dark, mozzies were everywhere and prey fish were being hammered in exactly the same spot every time. On the second cast something hit the lure at an incredible speed and exploded on the surface. The fight was short but furious and as the fish was being drawn to the net disaster struck as the hook pulled ! Bastard !

For once I'd done everything right and a bit of bad luck had done me. 

I continued casting but it felt the moment had passed. Then, out of nowhere  another furious hit. This time I managed to get the fish in the net, a beauty of around 4lb. I was dancing around like a kid and shaking like a leaf.

It gets ya doesn't it ?


I cycled off into the gloom "buzzing" as da yoof would say.

A day later I was again feeder fishing in the same spot,  eyes peeled and ears open. Sure enough at dusk, the attacks began.

Off I went with the spinning rod again and only a few minutes later the Droppen was hit on the surface under my feet, resulting in me letting out an involuntary whoop as it sped off into the main current. 

A fantastic fish, bit bigger this time, maybe 5lb.


So chuffed again and now I'm an asp expert dontcha know  ?

I want some more of this.


6 comments:

  1. Asp are ferocious predators, weirdly all the Asp I've caught have been on dog biscuits whilst targeting Grass Carp on the canals and dykes.

    On the Waal I didn't have much joy for them though on the spinners even though I could see them.

    Good luck if you do head back over for them, epic looking fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I'll definitely be going back for a proper go.
      Very interesting what you say about seeing but not catching on the Waal. Was planning to fish the Waal but run out of time and was pre occupied on the Ijssel barbel.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, I've heard of them now I know what they look like !!

    ReplyDelete