Wednesday 26 June 2024

Summer Here - Official

At last. With a hot, sunny forecast I jumped in the camper and headed into the Fens for some more rudd fishing.

Now, as its been horrible weather since October I'm loathe to complain, but 28 degrees C ? Blimey.

Instead of doing he sensible thing and waiting until it cooled down in the evening I had to have a quick go in the afternoon. I was sweating buckets, contending with flies and covered in stinging nettles, but first cast resulted in a corker of 2lb 3oz. Fanfeckingtastic.


Great start, but things petered out and after a big veggie curry I was back in the evening.

The less said the better. Bream, swans and swarms of ravenous mozzies. It was not pleasant. 

Next morning I was out on recce along the river on the bike. Covered a fair few miles and found some nice spots. Always worth getting out for a scout about along little lanes and backwaters.


Prepped for the evening session I donned a mozzie mask. It isn't my usual expression, honest. I feel obliged to gurn for the camera.


I tried for a tench on the bottom rod, but was breamed out, hefty fish of 5-7lb, but annoying after the first five or six.

Firing bits of bread in and watching for bigger rudd I pulled in to a good fish and hustled it to the net through the lillies. An old warrior of 2lb 6oz.


I had the England Euro bore fest, match number three, against the mighty Slovenia on the radio at very low level while I fished. Its the way to do it, less painful than having to watch.

Later on I hooked a very big fish that came to the surface and then surged away before the hook pulled. Bastard ! 

I thought I'd show you the hideous carbuncle of a float I was using, with a starlite so I could actually see the bites with my Mr Magoo eyes.


It works though. Takes three swan shot and casts well.

They continued feeding until well into dusk with several rudd of 1.5 to just under 2lb ending up in the net.

Plenty of fish but if only I'd have landed that big one. Maybe next time. 

As I write this, I've just got in from another bike ride in the morning sun, having bagged up on PYO strawberries and golden raspberries and a crusty French stick. Coffee is on and I'm just about to pig out.

It ain't just about the fishing

Summer is here. It's light until gone ten, the Euros are on and the Tour De France starts this weekend.

Ave it.


2 comments:

  1. Going well till you mentioned the Steroid calvacade. Make 'em race round Fen roads in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cavmeister will make history in this year's TDF. Learn to love it Waaaaak.

      Delete