Wednesday 7 August 2024

Asp Hunt

We moved on to a lovely place by the river Lek, a perfect stopover at an old fortress that is now a micro brewery.

It was a fair walk to the river and access was difficult. There was twenty five feet of water at about fifteen yards. Hmm, not perfect in these conditions. 

So it proved. Some nice roach to a pound and a solitary nase. Nice to see that.

But it was a bit "After the Lord Major's show". As it had to be really. 


On to the Ijssel and after a trip to the garage for a wheel change we were at a cracking riverside aire by a small harbour.


The evening barbel fishing produced only hybrids and silver bream. I kept trying with the lure rod for asp but saw no signs of activity. 


After cycling back to the camper, instead of sitting down eating and relaxing like a normal person,  I walked down to the harbour entrance where the fast water of the main river met the quiet, placid backwater.

There were eruptions everywhere.  I ran down to get the rod but after half hour casting had nothing.

But "I know where they live" and I was pretty confident I'd see a few at dawn.

I rose early, had a cuppa and walked down to the water. Before I was anywhere near the river I could  here thrashing where the asp were hitting the shoal fish.

Surely I'd get one ?

As it got properly light the activity subsided, the surface was once again calm and it looked like the chance had gone.

But....you've got to keep buggering on

Just as I was losing hope the lure was hit with venom as a big asp launched itself out of the water.  The fight was short and furious and in double quick time the fish was in the net.

It looked massive and it was, as the scales read 9lb 14oz.




The photos are a bit crap, due to me being covered in sweat and mosquitos and shaking  like a shitting dog with the excitement. 

The fish destroyed one of the trebles on the Salmo Thrill. These fish are savage.


You won't be surprised to know I'm going to try and get another one this evening. 

2 comments:

  1. I'll refrain from using the U word. Fanfeckingtastic instead Boi

    ReplyDelete