Sunday 18 August 2024

Still Catching

I tackled up the little 6' 8" lure rod, clipped on the faithful Salmo Thrill and headed off for a new area, a crib where the water was even more turbulent and pacey than the others.

As soon as me and T, the Dutch boy, arrived the asp showed themselves by crashing in to shoal fish along the edge. First cast and I get a savage take, a small asp of around 2lb. A nice start.

Then I hooked a tiny pike and manage to get a treble in my thumb past the barb. One strong heave with forceps and it's out. 

Next cast and a fish hits the lure inches from the edge, I shout out that it's a zander, but no, its a cracking perch.


To finish off the evening I get another asp, another cracking session.

Next day I'm on the feeder in a new swim. It was a bit slow, but the first bite resulted in what I first thought was a nase or sneep, but after subsequently talking to some Dutch anglers I'm reliably informed it's a bluenose ( vimba vimba in Latin ). A fish that has infiltrated the Rhine system via the Danube

What a beautiful fish.





I had several around the 2lb mark with the best clocking in at 2lb 6oz. 

They really do pull in the fast water. 

I was having to use an 80 gram feeder with legs to hold the bottom, as the flow increased and decreased according to the boat traffic. These ships are truly massive and the amount of water they displace is incredible. 

I chucked a barbel rod out in the fast water and just about held with a 100 gram feeder with legs. The tip didn't move for three hours but as I was packing away the baitrunner screamed and I was in.

After a short tussle a nice fish of 6 or 7lb was in the net, not before it managed to snap one of the landing net arms. Or maybe that was me.


Well chuffed with that. I must admit it was a bit "chuck it and chance it". I wasn't building up the swim, I just chucked a feeder out and left it. Lazy git.

Anyway, it worked.

In the afternoon we had a long bike ride. We got back, I poured a nice cold beer and S said she was going to have a fish with the lure rod for ten minutes.  I said it's middle of the afternoon, bright sunshine, three foot of water, no flow , you're wasting your time.

First cast she gets a small asp.


Shows what I know.

Moving on tomorrow, but I'd happily stay here for a few more days.


Love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment