Tuesday 9 March 2021

The Same But Different

 I've fished the river for thirty years on and off. Mostly on. This year, having only re started in January, I'm restricted to one free stretch, as I'm not a member of any clubs.

As it happens, this stretch is not one I've fished much before. It's deepish and slow. Very slow if not static in the summer.

I never rated it much for chub, though I had a few out many years ago.

However, after catching that big one last trip, I decided to give it a proper go and it turned out to be decent fishing with good numbers of fish between two and three pounds. Not massive, but fun nevertheless.


Agreed, I look a gumby in that photo.

Chub are a fish that, if you get things right, you'll almost certainly catch them.

Don't scare them with your approach, put the bait in exactly the right spot, understand that your best chance is on the first cast and it's easy.

But as with many things it's not always easy to do the simple things right. Which is why I've ended up tangled in far bank trees, bumped fish off on the strike and missed too many bites.

But no matter, I've caught enough and am re learning how not to cock things up. It's bloody great fun.

I've had two or three fish out every evening, just fishing around dusk, the golden hour to be sure. Especially in the clear conditions that prevail at the moment. Lots of people blanking in the middle of day re enforces that belief.

I've also had some more pike out on this stretch, so things are going well at the moment.

It turns out that stories that the river was finished, due to otters, cormorants and nasty foreigners are not true. 

It has changed of course. Next to no carp, the already tiny numbers of (introduced) barbel now practically zero, but roach, dace, perch and chub numbers seem to be on the up. 

So, it's as it was, in that there's good fishing available if you make the effort, but possibly with different species. 

Nothing stays the same forever.



 









 

2 comments: