Sunday 14 November 2021

Brekkies, Buddies and Roaches

 


Lots of this and that this week. Whatever that means.

Bit of work gardening, walked there and back, a twelve mile round trip. I was channeling the pre Victorian peasant groove and oddly satisfying it was too.

I've been over the hooooge reservoir piking and roaching. Plenty of them there roaches but I really am having a tough time on the pike.

The shoals of roach are enormous, despite being hammered daily by hundreds of grebes, cormorants, herons, egrets and kingfishers. I've even seen an osprey twice this autumn, hovering and then crashing down into one of the bays. It's a beautiful place.


I also took Pezza and his dad Ken, two newbie anglers, sea fishing. They have both been out several times unsuccessfully. I knew just the spot, a little promontory in the estuary. With high tide falling on dusk I was confident of a few fish. Well, actually I thought they'd have a shed load.

For the first hour, not a touch. As expected with the clear water. " How often have you fished here and not caught anything ? " said Pezza. Tut tut, no room for negativity, all will be well as darkness falls.

The sun sank over the Essex marshes and within a few minutes the rod tips were rattling. For the next hour and a half carnage ensured as whiting came ashore two and three at a time. Some really chunky fish too. Job done.


Very enjoyable evening for everyone.

I also spent a couple of mornings "supporting local business" at the legendary Manningtree Station Buffet. Family run business employing local people, English breakfast with two coffees £4.50. And it's top quality stuff. Try it yourself.



.

 

3 comments:

  1. That is a cracking brekkie. Nice tings too. Bloodlust sated for a while. Gonna get you a priest for Chrimbo having watched your hideous attempts at Cley

    BTW, sure you're not that Newell bloke in disguise? Since you walked there and back I imagine the client supplied the tools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The client did indeed supply the tools.
      Break the neck of the whiting. Simple, no priest required.
      Try that brekkie when you're back in Essex. I'll join you.

      Delete