Wednesday 23 November 2022

Ups and Downs ( Again )

I got a job, labouring at a place twenty odd miles away. Monday morning I left the house in the dark, to be met with a heavily iced up car. 

On the main road, heavy traffic. Ah, I remember this from the old days. I arrived to see a load of blokes donning wellies, waterproofs and hard hats. The site looked like the Somme, puddles and mud, with rubbish and assorted detritus everywhere.

One of the guvnors starting shouting for labourers. Get some pallets down so we can get the low loader to the house, hurry up,  blah, blah, blah.

I looked at scene, froze for a few seconds and immediately fucked off. Lasted half hour. I'm not the desperate for money yet. I do need to apologise to the bloke who got me the job though. 

The next day I arranged to fish the "Big Lake" with Bully Boy. It was bloody cold again and I somehow forgot my buff, gloves and warm hat. Poor show.

I managed to get a spot tucked away out of the wind, which according to the forecast was going to be 8 mph SW all day, but was more like 15 mph. Honestly, this year the forecasting has been pathetic.

We sat there chatting for a good couple of hours before BB's state of the art, four quid alarm beeped ( I've got some too ) and the drop off, well, dropped off and he was in. A nicely conditioned pike of 12.5lb. Excellent.


It looks bigger than 12lb, but he's only a lit'lun at 5' 2" in his Mothercare bib n brace. 

It was rather chilly and as is pretty normal for this place there are long periods of inactivity. In the middle of the afternoon, out of nowhere I was away on a sunken float paternostered half herring, which resulted in a lovely fish around 11lb ish.


A few minutes after returning this one, BB's right hand rod screamed off and he was into a very lively fish. I managed to get a few decent shots as he was playing it and it certainly pulled a bit.


They really are fighting extra hard this season, I've no idea why.


This one went 15lb 12oz and is the biggest BB has had since a thrupenny bit would buy you a pint of maggots and you could get sixpence back on your old Corona bottles.

We sat there until dusk hoping for another one, but that would have been greedy wouldn't it ? Three doubles on a cold late November day is a good session in my book.

I'm looking forward to the next session already.




7 comments: