Thursday, 17 September 2026

White Water Bassing

I've not been feeling it since we returned from the European trip, nothing has really inspired me.

However, a mate in Norfolk gave me the nod about some potentially good lure fishing up his neck of the woods.

He picked the day, the tide and place. The only thing he didn't do was put the fish on the hook for us. Good old boy.

Me and Bully embarked on a very long and very onerous trek to reach the mark. It was a glorious September day, bright sunshine, mixed with intermittent cloud, with a moderate north westerly that gave the sea some real life.



It looked perfect and extremely bassy indeed. However, the first couple of hours were blank. Not a touch.

As soon as the tide started to flood a big group of terns started diving on bait fish, which were being driven to the surface by unseen predators. Unfortunately,  they were out of casting range....but not for long.

It was a real cacophony, as terns shrieked and dived, with the occasional skua harassing any tern with a fish in its mouth.

When the flock came closer in our lures were hit viciously, as the bass hammered the lures in the shallows, with white water crashing all round.




Out on the bar, we were hit with the water coming in from all directions.  At one point Bully was almost knocked off his feet, after which he retreated to a safer area.



The mayhem lasted for maybe forty five minutes, by which time I'd had over a dozen bass and Bully similar.

I was on my "last cast" when I turned round and saw Bully walking off, about half mile in the distance. That's unusual I thought, he's not the type to get the hump.

I caught up with him as he stopped for a breather. "I'm fucked" he said, "I didn't even have the energy to wade over to you and tell you I was leaving".

Poor old boy, the knees, neck and hip were playing Up. We made in back to the car just on dark and after a ten minute drive back to the campsite, dumped the gear under the van.

I crashed on to the sofa and cracked open a cold beer. Bully then stuck his head round the door and said " I'm just going over to the toilet block to wipe down my lures".

What!?!? Wipedown your fecking lures ? At this time of night, when you could only just stand up at the end of the walk ?

I pulled rank and told him he'd do no such thing and he'd sit down and have a drink. He offered no resistance. 

An absolutely fantastic day.



No comments:

Post a Comment