Wednesday 19 August 2015

Hats Off to the Boy Shakespere

I was googling "scepter'd isle" the other day, can't remember why, one thing leads to another on the interweb ( stop sniggering Baines ) and came across this.
If I was a formally educated man, I'd be familiar with it, but I went to Brightlingsea Comprehensive in the 70's, where learning to read and write was classed as a success.
Anyway, I reckon that bard bloke ain't half bad sometimes.
I nicked one of the lines for a blog post title too.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

From Richard II, Act 2 (Shakespeare)

2 comments:

  1. As you know I am a humourless old get so no sniggering...just add a slice of Jerusalem, Nimrod Variations or Peter Grimes and that is the British mainland right there. Chuck in some Newell or Cooper-Clarke and old Bragg meister on the trunk road to Shoeburrynes and you are getting to the nub of it.

    ReplyDelete