Saturday 13 May 2017

'Ave It

" Simplicity, simplicity, Simplicity. I say let your affairs be two or three, not hundreds or thousands"

Henry David Thoreou


So do I Dave.

Nice looking water eh ? I've walked past it a few times but never seen any fish, but a few weeks ago I noticed how coloured the water was. Doesn't get coloured without a reason, so I sat down on the bank for an hour and watched. I eventually spotted a very light coloured "ghostie" carp. Then another, then a group of them. Good sized too. Hmm.

There are " Danger - Keep Out" and " No Fishing" signs everywhere, so I jumped over the barbed wire for a snoop round. No sign of anyone ever fishing, very overgrown, steep banks, but a couple of interesting out of the way spots.

The other day, I came back with some bait, selected a swim and chucked some in. Within twenty minutes half a dozen decent sized carp were tails up feeding on the bait.

Alarm clock set for 4.00 the next morning, bait in the water by 4.30 and within five minutes I was in to a decent fish that tore off, making the reel scream and rod hoop round double. A few minutes later a gorgeous looking ghostie type mirror not far short of 20lb was in the net. Nice.

Tucked away out of sight

I only fished for a couple of hours, but had five carp and lost two. They all fought like demons. The thirty plus year old Sportex 2lb TC had a real hammering.

As well as the  first fish, I had one nice common around 15lb, a couple of  low double ghostie mirrors and a litlun around 5lb. By 7.00 I was having breakfast.

Crap photo, but you can see it's a lump

You won't be surprised to learn that I'm going back for another go soon.

So's that

Later the same day I had my first trip of the season down the river bass fishing. Float fishing a few yards out in a couple of feet of water, plenty of schoolie bass were hitting the ragworm almost every cast. Nothing decent but plenty of time yet.


I saw a mate lure fishing the same spot but unusually, on this particular evening, he didn't have a touch.


It was a beautiful warm spring evening, we had a good chat and a few fish, what more do you want ?  I'm looking forward to plenty more evenings like that this season.


2 comments:

  1. Corking day Wak. Might be doing a bit of close in stuff tonight over pigeon conditioner and hemp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff, that's cheered me up.

    ReplyDelete