Wednesday 2 August 2017

Catching The Impossible

" Life's too short to try and catch mullet "
Anon

After last week's carp-roach-bream escapades I said to Conc, Norfolk Bob and anyone that would listen that a mullet on the fly was the target for August.

Make yourself a cup of tea and settle down, I'm going to milk this.

I'd been watching these mullet for ages. Last year I said I would do it but never did. I sorted out a nice five weight fly rod and some recommended mullet flies and set off for the river. A look over the bridge confirmed there were plenty of fish about.

I started off with as much confidence as it's possible to have, whilst trying for the hardest fish in  the sea to catch. On a fly. An hour or so with no action and I changed the fly. out of hope rather than any great plan.

First cast, I had a take. I had a take, fuck me I had a take ! I re cast and immediately struck into a fish, which, in just a few inches of water, immediately tail walked before zipping off at high speed with the fly line ripping through my fingers. I couldn't believe it.


After a good five minutes or more I beached a lovely fish of maybe 3lb. Chuffed, I certainly was. Amazing how a silly wet fish can nget your legs a wobblin' after forty years.

About five minutes later I was in again, this time after jumping several times the hook pulled. No matter, I was getting bites. Shortly afterwards I hooked a bigger fish that seemed to take ages to get in on the light gear, powering off again and again before finally being beaten. A cracking fish of around 4lb this time.
 

What a great start to the mullet campaign. I was texting all and sundry boasting about  a fookin' mullet on the fly. Well, telling your mates is half the fun isn't it. The Norfolk boys were on the internet buying fly gear that very evening.


After that success I'd obviously got the bug, as I can be a bit of a keenie sometimes and plans were already being made to get back down there again.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful fish. Mullet should have teeth with all that scaly armour. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are John. Back down there for another go later.

      Delete
  2. Well done that man - fabulous fish

    ReplyDelete