Monday 24 May 2021

You're Fishing For What ?

Well, it was gudgeon and ruffe for a while. And good fun it was too. When fishing with the light float gear on the Grand Union and the Kennet and Avon canal I had many species, including lots of silver bream.

Not skinny, flat skimmer bream but lovely not very snotty at all silver bream.

Really pretty fish, their big eyes, red pectoral and caudal fins and distinct shape making it possible to clearly identify them from the usual bronze bream.

At first I thought very light gear and maggots was the way to get them and though it certainly worked, bread flake and small cubes of luncheon meat were also very effective.

I had them to an estimated pound plus. Yes, I should have weighed them, I will next time.


See the top fish ? Hybrid I think, proper silver bream below it.


Plump little things aren't they ?

The fish below is a "almost but not quite" I think. 90 per cent silver ? Who knows ?


And this last one. A definite hybrid, but an interesting looking fish.


I enjoyed fishing for and catching them. Again, something a bit different.



3 comments:

  1. Lovely fish, assume you have watched George Burtons canal YouTube video on Silver Bream ? btw interestingly a fellow syndicate member on a stretch of the Warwickshire Avon we once had caught a silver bream well over 2lbs, thought it was a hybrid of some sort and put it back. Probably one of the biggest river silver bream ever caught I'd imagine. !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Ihaven't seen that vid Mick, I'll check it out. I reckon I had a couple over a pound.
      Nice catching unusual ( for me ) stuff.

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7MxcKbJXXI

      Delete