Saturday 30 April 2022

Pioneering

We've just been for a trip way upriver for bass and roker. When I say upriver I mean upriver, I was expecting to find Colonel Kurtz holed up along the banks of the Colne.

The spot is a place where years ago as kids we caught huge amounts of eels and flounders at this time of year.

You rarely see either at this spot now but it is a good place for bass. Usually.

The deal was I'd dig the lug and supply the squid-herring and Cocksy would drive.

After sweating my gonads off digging bait he said he wasn't picking me up as the venue would add ten minutes to his journey. Poor show eh ?

Anyway, we got there a bit late, joined by a non fishing mate who had the first bite. With the rod on the way into the briney he pulled into and landed a nice skate of 6 or 7lb.

Cocksy's turn next with a litlun, then I had one half decent one.

Made a change fishing for them with 9 foot spinning rods and braid 😆

No bass though...

Absolutely no pull in the tide.

Beautiful calm evening with a nightingale singing non stop behind us and munty's calling on the distance. 

We had several more skate and good old whiting before heading home, with Cocksy having a small schoolie.

Are eels and flounders in the old days better than skate and bass we have now ? No, give me skate and bass any day.

Cocksy continued into the night when I think he had a few more before being jumped and abused by the bogie man on his long walk back.

A beautiful evening to be out.


No comments:

Post a Comment