Wednesday 4 May 2022

A Mullet on the Mudflats

I've been walking past the mullet mark every day for weeks. They're strange fish, most mornings you won't see a single fish at the moment but come back later in the day and it's loaded with them.

I dug out my fly gear, a nice five weight brook rod, an old Intrepid Rim Fly and a NEW fly line....."mill end" of course.

When I arrived they were there, sitting on the shallows with their tails out. Lovely.

Bit rusty on the casting, I drifted the fly over them in maybe eight inches of water. After a while I had a take, the fish simultaneously jumping as I struck. Missed, damn it. 

Encouraged I carried on and ten minutes later I hooked into a nice fish. It bored around doggedly until I beached it on the mud, a clean looking fish around 3lb.

I really don't buy this "British bonefish" tag that they've been given. They go well and offer unrelenting resistance, to my mind similar to barbel but very few of the fish I've had have torn off on long runs. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

They disappeared shortly afterwards and I walked home with the smug glow you get on such occasions. Or I do anyway. Well chuffed.

5 comments:

  1. Never caught one !! I'm of to Lanzarote at the end of July though and fancy a dabble. Seen some huge ones there over the years, proper monsters but quite happy with a 1lber just to tick it off the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pay me a visit, mullet and bass on my doorstep. Always welcome.

      Delete
  2. Nice, so far my mullet captures have been accidental, but I'm thinking of combining the paddle board with some mullet fishing this year - what flies do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea that ! I use patterns like Spectra Shrimp, Romy's Mud Shrimp, anything from the mullet section from Selectafly. Check out video by Colin McCloud re fly for mullet, really helpful.
      They're not as hard to catch on fly as people say.

      Delete
  3. Mill ends..haven't heard that for years

    ReplyDelete