Friday 8 April 2022

Thoughts and Reflections

I've just finished working three days a week in north London. I started in late November and it got some cash in over the boring winter months. I was lucky, I made a phone call and started the next day, no contracts, work as much or as little as I like.

It wasn't glamorous. Early starts, long days at the hairy arsed end of the industry. But I got something out of it. I don't mean only money.

I didn't "enjoy" it but at the end of the day I was glad I'd done it, although I was pleased the day had finished. Bit of cut and thrust sales type stuff, banter and a go on a modern fork lift type thing.

It's a funny old business. I spent twenty eight years at the same company. Good times, bad times, poor pay, excellent pay, but often felt like an imposter. What was I, a bloke that couldn't wire a plug, doing in a job as a "Technical Sales Engineer" ?

I was good at the sales, shite at the technical bit.

I stayed there that long because, I suppose, I never believed anyone would pay me to do anything else. Sounds pathetic, but I think that's what happens when you stay in the same place too long.

Anyway, on the day of my 50 th birthday I handed my notice in. No job to go to. I gave up a job that paid over three times as much as I earn now. I was not stressed, just bored.

In the seven plus years since, I've been self employed and done bits and pieces in sales for some old mates, gardening, some house viewings ( I can't bring myself to say estate agency ), taught English to refugees, picked up and driven cars and had a few days labouring.

Something always turns up if you don't mind a bit of hustling. Yeaaahhh boiiiii.

Best thing is that you paddle your own canoe. Nobody allowing you "annual leave" ( sorry Waaaaak) or telling you what to do.

Drawback is not so much money. Not if you spend lots of time not working like me.

Its April now, the camper is packed with food, tackle and bait. Next week on the canal again, then at the end of the month a trip in the south west somewhere. A big European trip being planned too. Who knows, stuff happens, plans change.

No proper work until November hopefully.

2 comments: