Tuesday 7 June 2022

A Day In The Life

Best Beatles song I reckon. Especially when Neil Young plays it live.

Living the life of a Lotus Eater at the moment, although hopefully I can avoid the same demise. A book worth reading.

I left the house at 07.30 this morning for a quick walk along the river. Five hours later I arrived back.

It was a gloriously warm sunny day and as I walked along the tidal stretch, now overgrown in parts with stingers, blackthorn and fat hen. On the big bend the mullet were cruising aimlessly in the sun, big ones, small ones, some as big, etc.

On to the freshwater section and loads of roach of all sizes up to maybe three quarters of a pound, plus chub and what looked like very small gudgeon on the shallow gravels.

Not every swim had fish but enough to make me think the river is in good nick. The bottom was a mixture of cabbages, silt and gravel, not too much of that horrible clogging blanket weed yet. There were more water snails than I've ever seen in my life and plenty of dragonflies and damselflies. Bloody boooootiful.

I've just started to bait a few spots to see what lies beneath in these two very lightly fished sections. I'm not expecting big bags or big fish but am quite excited to see what the summer river contains these days.


I saw plenty of decent roach over one of the pre baited swims and all the seed had gone so something is eating it. Adjacent to my swim is a field full of buttercups and ox eye daisys, an amazing sight.


I spoke to an old boy who walks his dog alongside the river every day and asked him if he sees any fish. For a very refreshing change we didn't have the usual 40lb pike-carp bullshit but very interesting bits and pieces. Proper good 'ol boi.

Back home eventually, bacon sarnie, then bait digging just in time to catch a solitary mullet.




Just got to get some more seed on the soak and it'll be time for a glass of red.

A cracking day


1 comment: