Sunday 26 June 2022

Ruffe Luck

"Pay attention to small things. The rewards are inversely proportional "

Liz Vassey

"Mirrored in ponds and seen through gates. Sweet uneventful countryside"

John Betjeman on Essex

Well I agree with Liz but think the Boy Betjeman damns my part of Essex with faint praise.

This week I had a recce in the Fens. Now that is a weird place. Not in an entirely bad way.

The first bit of water visited was deep, deep into banjo country. Lovely quiet lanes, no traffic hum and a deserted waterside. Unfortunately there were multiple No Fishing signs in every possible language.

I checked out a well known rudd river, got very hot, bitten by insects and was driven insane by swans. I hate them. No rudd were caught. 


Back home on another tiny beautiful stream I spent hours watching fish, hoping to spot a bullhead or stone loach. None seen unfortunately, but lots of gudgeon, minnows, chublets and dace.



This morning I had a close encounter with a short tailed field vole, how I managed to creep up on him without scaring him I don't know. I was touching distance away. Tiny little thing about two inches long.


Oh, almost forgot. I didn't catch a Stour ruffe either. Patience dear boy, patience.


1 comment:

  1. Hot work in this heat. We could try some Middle Level or 20 Foot recces. And yes, very weird. I'm undecided as to whether Cambs/Norfolk Fens or Lincs Fens are the weirdest, More cabbages Lincs way perhaps .

    ReplyDelete