Friday 8 July 2022

Mad For It

Or as I call it "In The Groove". When I'm off fishing in the van I get in to a sort of routine. A very very enjoyable routine.

Up early go fishing. 

Get back, have huge late breakfast.

Out on the bike/walk for a poke around 

Go fishing in evening.

Get back, cheese ( Stilton and crumbly West Country Cheddar since you ask ), biscuits, cider-wine

Repeat for as long possible. And no, I don't get bored with it. It gets better and better.


This morning I was on the bank at 04.30, back fishing the slider, quite successfully, bite a chuck, rudd and perch over a pound, a 1lb 5oz silver bream and stacks of others, skimmers and hybrids.



In the late afternoon Waaaaak joined me for a short social session. He parked at the end of a typical Fenland track, dusty, overground, single house out of the way with crap everywhere. Place where a proper rum'n might live.

Short fifty yard walk to the swim, lovely.


Waaaak unloaded his gear from the car, enough for a weekend session as usual and staggered to the swim. 

We had plenty of fish on our not-quite-right feeder rigs and many bites were missed. Waaaak sensibly changed to a smaller hook and immediately improved his catch rate.

A very old mate, Leo, who died years ago used to say "we all fish differently " and he was right. 

I'd forgotten what a ham fisted bloke Waaak is, he catches plenty of fish but it ain't pretty to watch.

He fishes like he's been on the beer all day, crash, bang, wallop ! And that's what happened to an unfortunate silver bream he wound in, misjudging the amount of line he had out and winding in at a hundred miles an hour as he swung it in it crashed into the wooden board on the bank with a thud.

"Returned inharmed". Er, probably not.


As usual we chewed the fat. Topics included the Boris and Nadine love in and what a bunch of turds are in charge right now, carp anglers and their gadgets and women's football. Considering what a right on chap he is his views on the last matter were what you might say reactionary. Shocking.





We watched the kingfishers again, had a good chat and laugh and caught plenty of fish. You can't beat fishing with an old mate can you?

4 comments:

  1. The older I get the clumsier I get. It will only get worse..get some more socials under our belts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous! I wish I could retire tomorrow......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I ha ha. I'm not retired, I'm just "between jobs" 😁

      Delete