Saturday 19 March 2022

Good Times, Bad Times

The first road trip of the year, down to the canal, a three hour chug in the camper. BBC weather on Monday told me it was sunny all week, by Tuesday they said that, actually Wednesday it was going to pee down. All day. They were right on that score.

I arrived early afternoon and waited for it to stop. It didn't. Never mind, I'd wait until Thursday.


Walking to the swim my pre made up rod got caught in a tree, a gentle nudge and it was free. Half a mile later I arrived at the swim and found it'd snapped off, my favourite bobber float too ! I walked back to find it.
No sign of it, walked back to swim only to find it on the ground. How it got there I don't know.

Never mind. Relaaaaax.

I started to set up my impulse-purchase-but-not-very-good-pole. Oh dear, I appear to have left the top section in the van

And so it continued. No zander, just a handful of roach and rudd. It was dry and I was fishing but to put it mildly, I've had better days.

Second day I awoke to bright sunshine. An absolutely gorgeous day. The Turdster was joining me for the day and we set off for a couple of swims close to the campsite.

I picked a swim on the basis that I could sit comfortably on the sun. Yes, watercraft in action.

The pole was set up reasonably professionally, I even had a pole winder and a proper pole float. I'm da man ya know ? 

First drop in and the float buried and a cracking rudd around the pound mark was in the net. Great start.

After that, amazingly I had a fish a chuck for and hour and a half until we packed up for lunch.

A dozen big rudd to 1lb 10oz, eight bream 1-2lb and several silver bream. As you can see from the photos the fish were in absolutely immaculate condition. I was well chuffed.



Oh yes, and Turdy caught a decent rudd on a rubber shad too.

The afternoon session wasn't quite as good but let's not be too greedy. A few good rudd, roach and silver bream. And still no zander.

A glorious day in the sun, as you can see from my Fergie like port drinkers face.


I'm looking forward to getting back there in April.

3 comments: