Tuesday 18 October 2022

Every Cloud...

Getting a bit concerned about the lack of work, but on the plus side yesterday I could go out and do what I do best. Loafing.

I say loafing, it was foraging in the morning and after rain overnight there were field mushrooms everywhere. After the box was filled it was into the woods for chestnuts. Again, absolutely loads of them.




Just had to go from tree to tree trying to sort out the better ones. Which means bigger. Do they taste any different ? No, but whether its bait digging, blackberrying, fishing, mushrooming or whatever you're always after the big one aren't you ?


As you can see I got a few damsons too.

After a monstrous lunch of streaky crispy bacon, eggs, baked beans, toasted sough dough bread and some of those mushrooms I went off looking for mullet.

For the first time this season I had a run in with the RSPB man. This time he was polite, I was polite. Last time he was an arrogant prick and I got very, very angry. And I felt a bit of a twat afterwards.  Thought you were meant to mellow as you got older ?

Anyway, I packed up and left and went to another mark which has access through a wood owned by....yes the RSPB. Feck me if a warden in a 4WD didn't pull over and say "You can't fish in the estuary".

Now this somewhat sweeping and factually incorrect statement did, I admit, "boil my piss" and though we had a civil exchange I left determined neither of these people would not ruin my day.

I found a lovely quiet spot, sat down and watched for any surface activity. It was a bit windy for my liking but the occasional fish was showing so I was in with a chance.


Within an hour it had calmed down and the surface had the faintest ripple and more fish were present. One or two bits of bread were nudged and taken which had the effect of turning me in to an over excited incompetent wreck. No, it doesn't take much.

Although they were feeding I couldn't get a take and I was concerned I might have missed my chance. However, after the tide turned they became even more active and for a period of maybe twenty minutes they were taking the bread well.

I missed a really good bite which dragged the float under quickly, a few seconds later I recast only for a fish to take the bait immediately. I made contact with it, whereupon it leaped clear of the water twice before throwing the hook. Bastard !

I thought that might have scared them off, but no, they were still there. Next cast a fish nosed the bread, which then started to sink before being taken. This time the fish stayed on and a very welcome autumn mullet hit the beach ( hit the beach, hit the net, whatever, there's only so many ways to describe it ). Just under 5lb. That'll do nicely.


I was well chuffed. I packed up with the sun setting, the mullet still crashing and swirling in the now ultra shallow water and a huge flock of brent geese wheeling overhead.


What a great day.



4 comments:

  1. What a cracking day apart form the knobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think anybody "owned" anything below the high water mark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of time you're right but some nature reserves rent below high tide mark from the Crown Estate.

      Delete