Wednesday 21 September 2022

Schooled By The General - Part Two

The Chesil General kindly invited me for a day on the shingle. We met on a beautiful crisp, sunny morning and rowed his dingy across the fleet to the beach, saving a leg breaking walk.

First cast and I had a double shot of a codling and a red gurnard, what a great start. The next cast I had a nice bream.

3-0 up on the General, I'm on fire. The General started with two unwelcome congers, then a bream, then a gurnard double shot. He was back in the game.


He then had a double shot of codling, while I was struggling with conger and the occasional bream. I paid attention to what he was doing, always working, thinking , trying different baits and distances. The very best anglers are "different class" as a football pundit would say.



It really does give you a kick up the arse with regard to your fishing. It's easy to become a bit set in your ways until you see someone a bit special. 

We ended up with maybe twenty five fish between us so a productive and thoroughly enjoyable day. 

I had some stinky lugworm left so in the evening had a very quick trip out to try and catch a sole. I got lucky and had a clonking fish of 1lb 10oz which I was chuffed with

I packed up shortly after catching the sole. I was bloody knackered and it was job done. For once I didn't feel the urge to catch any more, so I made the long trek back under the clear star filled sky feeling drained but satisfied.

What a great day.


1 comment: