Thursday 8 September 2022

Thick Lips

As Bazza said after catching a very big thick lip after several blank sessions, "Those thin lips can feck right off, they're too easy".

Careful Bazza, but I do agree.

The thicks in the river often don't turn up.

When they do, they often ignore all loose feed.

When they do eat the freebies they usually nudge, swirl at or ignore your hookbait.

But.... this morning was different. The wind was perfect, the fish immediately took the freebies, but would they take the hook bait ?

Well, yes. However, I managed to hook and lose three on the trot shortly after setting the hook. One is bad enough but three ? That's like losing your winning lottery ticket. Three times !

Oddly enough I kept calm and had the feeling that today was "one of those days". 

They continued to feed and on the last cast I actually managed to get one in that went just short of 4lb, so not a total disaster.


Last Sunday it was a more typical session. Not many fish, not many feeding.

Bazza hooked and lost one but had several fish feeding in his swim.

I had no interest for hours until I made a speculative cast which resulted in a very angry 4lb 6oztm thick lip which made five or six short fast runs before we got it in the net. Result.


There are some very big fish here and one of them would make my season so it's worth persevering. It's a lovely place too and I quite like being driven mad really.



2 comments: